One of the coolest things a dog can do with his or her human? Go to the farmers market! Farmers markets are social – I go there and see my pals, dogs from the park where we often visit. The coolest thing about farmers markets? Eating goodies, a variety of dog-safe fruits and veggies that give me good nutrition to be all the good dog that I can be! Hee hee hee… well, or as momma puts it, “as good as you can be!” So, yup, I went to the farmers market, got some goodies; and I have have a recipe to share, along with a Tote Tails animal-themed canvas bag give away for you!
Here’s a tip about going to a farmers market- when you go you have to fill your arms with goodies so you want to make sure to:
1. Know what you are going for! You don’t want to buy things you don’t need, but you want to make sure you got what you went there for; and
2. Bring a strong bag to carry all your goodies! It’s best to have a bag made out of breathable, washable material. Preferably an all natural material, not plastic – because plastic takes approximately 450 years to break down – compare that to canvas which takes one (1) year. Good for the earth – good for you!
So what did we get? Organic goodies galore: blueberries, black berries, granola, sweet potatoes, a variety of veggies, as well as wild Pacific sardines. Well, you know my momma and dadz are vegan, so why the sardines? For me! That’s right, us dogs get some good sardine treats every now and again. So here’s a great little dog treat recipe that my momma makes for me about once a week (all organic ingredients):
Mattie’s Super Healthy Dog Treat
- Sweet Potato – small size, steamed and cooled and cut in 1/2 [vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, vitamin B1, B6 and B2; and potassium, niacin, phosphorus and soluble dietary fiber]
- Sardine – one plump bugger [vitamin B2, B3, B12, and vitamin D, calcium, selenium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, copper, zinc]
- Blueberries – 1/8 cup or about 6 large-sized [vitamins C, A & E, vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and folic acid, potassium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc and soluble dietary fiber]
- 100% Raw Manuka Honey – 1/4 teaspoon [B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium zinc acid and certain amino acids-Manuka has methylglyoxal (MG), MG comes from the conversion of dihydroxyacetone, giving it a stronger antibiotic effect]
Place in your dog’s food bowl: take 1/2 of the cooled sweet potato, split in to bite size pieces depending on your dog (or other critter’s) size, top with the plump sardine (do not debone, etc., as these provide good nutrition for your pup), gently push the blueberries in to the potato, and lastly just drizzle the very small amounts of honey on-top. Serve and then watch for the happy faces of your pups!
Whenever we go to the farmers market we always get goodies for our super healthy dog treat. And this time we used our Tote Tails custom animal-themed canvas bag to collect all of our goodies. Why do we dig Tote Tails – because they have partnered with SPCA and Humane Society to donate 10% of every purchase to these wonderful organizations! By purchasing these fun and interactive bags you’re not only helping the environment, you’re helping save a life as well. We loved our Tote Tails bag so much that we know you’d love to have one of your own! So, we’ve got two great things for you:
1. 15% Discount Code for Tote Tails: Use the MattieDog discount code and you’ll get 15% off of your custom animal-themed Tote Tails canvas bag! Visit the Tote Tails website and shop around, use the MattieDog discount code when you check out and save yourself 15%.
2. Win Your Own Custom Tote Tails: Just enter the MattieDog’s Tote Tails Contest for your chance to win!
There is so much fresh produce available at farmers markets during the summer season. Why not get yourself a canvas Tote Tails custom animal-themed bag to hold all your goodies? Oh hey, and why you are at it – don’t forget to pick up the yummy ingredients to make my super healthy dog treat. Your pups (and kitties) will thank you for it!
With lub, MattieDog