What do you think of when you think of Santa? The jolly version that magically scoots down your chimney with arms full of presents – or – the kindhearted saint who, instead of material things, brings peace and joy wherever he goes? If your anything like me, your Santa is a mix of these two versions. Dissonance Santa, ho ho ho!
Santa is a bit like a dog. So, this has us here at MattieDog® wondering….
Could Santa Be a Dog?
What? I know, that sounds a bit off doesn’t it. But think about it. Dogs are joyful creatures that bring you wonderful pleasures either through direct giving or by making you feel all warm inside. Whether snuggling with you on the couch or chasing a ball that you’ve tossed, a dog can be counted on to bring you joy. The kind of joy that fills you up, making your insides ooey-gooey with desire to heave good tidings upon the world.
The spirit of Santa is alive in all of us. More alive in some than in others…perhaps some require a reminder. But still, he’s in there spreading his Santa goodness. Dogs don’t need a reminder – it’s inherent in their souls. So this got us thinking…. could Santa be a dog? What would be so bad about that?
While dogs have no thumbs and the thought of a thumbless Santa would be challenging…how could Santa round-up his reindeer or drive his sleigh? you wonder (p.s. don’t over think it)… we believe that dogs are one of the only creatures on earth that continually models Santa. Here are the facts:
- Santa has elves that work for him all year long, your dog has you to pick up after him/her all year long
- Santa eats in an effort to make himself nice and round, your dog would eat all the time if you let him/her
- Santa knows who has been naughty and nice, dogs have radar that tells them who they can trust
- Santa visits millions of houses to drop off presents, dogs may visit many houses in order to find their forever home
- Santa makes people super happy through his giving spirit, dogs can’t help but make people happy through their joie de vivre
- Santa is a safe big dude that encourages emotional connections, dogs are safe creatures that bring out the emotional vulnerability in all of us
- Santa laughs a bunch and dogs, well dogs play…. a lot
There you have it, imperacle data that Santa could be a dog!
There You Have It!
Some could argue that I tend to play fast and loose with my data. I’ve never professed to be a statistician…so there. Only an observer of the human-animal bond! Santa evokes the spirit of goodness, and so do dogs. That’s all the data I need.
Could Santa be a dog? Yes, I believe that a dog could easily be Santa – not the red suited Santa that travels the world in one night, but the Santa that lives in all of us. The Santa that makes the world a better place. The Santa that infuses joy and love in to the world and with all that he meets. That’s the Santa that most likely resembles our Mattie.
When you add a dog in to your life you are inviting a bit of Santa in to your day – every day! A dog’s spirit is pure goodness. If you are thinking of bringing a pup in to your family this Christmas, consider adopting. For all the good that a dog will bring to your world, you can afford to be a Santa to a dog this holiday season.
With lub, MattieDog, a little dog making a big impact in this world!®